By Scott Barancik, Editor
Here are your minor-league highlights from the week of April 10-16, 2017:
Jewish Baseball News Hitter of the Week
Jewish Baseball News Pitcher of the Week
In two scoreless relief appearances, Robert Stock (Reds/High-A) struck out 8 batters over a combined 5 innings while yielding just 2 hits and no walks. Signed by the Reds on March 21, Stock hadn’t played in the minor leagues since 2015.
- SS Scotty Burcham (Rockies/High-A) hit .308 (4-for-15) with a double and an RBI.
- C Cody Decker (Mets/AA) hit .333 (4-for-12) with 2 doubles, 2 RBIs and a walk. Decker signed with New York as a free agent on April 11.
- C Mitchell Kranson (Twins/A) hit .286 (4-for-14) with a home run, triple, and RBI.
- LF Jake Thomas (Blue Jays/A) hit .300 (3-for-10) with 4 walks, a stolen base, and an RBI.
- RF Rhett Wiseman (Nationals/High-A) hit .300 (6-for-20) with a double, 3 walks, an intentional walk, and 2 RBIs.
- P Max Fried (Braves/AA) bounced back from a tough first outing of 2017 with a gem. Fried, who is on Atlanta’s 40-man roster, pitched 6 innings of one-run ball on April 15, yielding just 2 hits and 2 walks while fanning 4.
- P Ryan Sherriff (Cardinals/AAA) pitched three scoreless relief stints, yielding a hit and 2 walks over a combined 2.1 innings while striking out 3.
- P Scott Effross (Cubs/High-A) held opponents scoreless in two relief appearances, yielding just one hit and no walks over 3.1 combined innings while striking out 2.
- P R.C. Orlan (Nationals/High-A) pitched two scoreless relief appearances, yielding a total of 3 hits and one intentional walk over 4 combined innings while striking out 2.
- P Jared Lakind (Pirates/AA) held opponents scoreless twice, yielding a hit and a walk over 3 combined innings while striking out one.
- P Brad Goldberg (White Sox/AAA) had two scoreless relief appearances, yielding 2 hits and one walk over a combined 2.2 innings while striking out 2. Goldberg is on Chicago’s 40-man roster.
- C Cody Decker signed a minor-league deal with the New York Mets.
- 1B Nate Freiman signed a contract with the Long Island Ducks of the independent Atlantic League.
- The Detroit Tigers reassigned C Tim Remes to extended spring training.
- C Maxx Tissenbaum, recently released by the Colorado Rockies, will be rejoining the Quebec Capitales of the independent Can-Am League.
- Last week, we failed to point out that 1B Rowdy Tellez (Blue Jays/AAA) hit 2 home runs in his Triple-A debut on April 8.
- Players actively seeking employment include former major leaguers Sam Fuld and Ryan Kalish, and minor leaguers Michael Fagan, Alec Grosser, Henry Hirsch, Raul Jacobson, and Kyle Ruchim.
- C Garrett Stubbs (Astros/AA).
- P Richard Bleier (Orioles/AAA).
- P Jon Moscot (Reds/AAA). Elbow.
- P Zack Weiss (Reds/AA). Elbow.
- P Jake Drossner (Brewers/A).
Get your Jewish baseball news via e-mail